Fitness & Health Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exercising on a fasted state

+10
jimjordan365
davidmartin414
ravifitness
bellefaithwilliams
vatansever223
bernard the marine69
harrygrove
Vega
dannycap
A.MAc
14 posters

Go down

Exercising on a fasted state Empty Exercising on a fasted state

Post by A.MAc Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:43 am

Many people start exercising with an empty stomach because it is said that if you do it you will burn fat faster than if you had some food in your stomach. It is actually proven to be right since having an empty stomach is associated with having low sugar levels and in consequence, the fat burning process is faster. The question many people might be asking to themselves is that if it is healthy to go and exercise with no ingestion of food. Well you all should get your own conclusion on whether you want to burn fat faster or the benefits that eating can give you.
It is proven that the fat burning starts after approximately 20 minutes of exercising. So what? Well that means you will be wasting 20 minutes of your energy before you start losing fat and an empty stomach organism cannot give you the energy that a person who ate something would have. That means that the workout of a person who eats would be more effective since it has the energy to exercise for longer.
Eating before exercising will give you many benefits such as working as a recovery booster, will give you the strength to stand more intense workouts and will help people not to feel nauseous and dizzy which happens to people who do not eat and exercise for a long time. Now, it is important to know that it doesn’t mean you will have a complete meal before going to the gym. I would recommend people to eat a banana since it brings a lot of potassium and it helps a lot, a yogurt, oatmeal or a sports drink; those are good options for you to choose from and enjoy your workout with more energy.

A.MAc
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Exercising on a fasted state Empty Re: Exercising on a fasted state

Post by dannycap Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 am

Great advice

Some quick questions

Is this due to glycogen levels being deplated?

Would you recomend a serving of protein before cardio to try and avoid catabolism?
dannycap
dannycap
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vega Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm

It seems like working out on an empty stomach can be dangerous for your health. Wouldn't you be more apt to suffer from heat exhaustion or heat stroke? Plus, I feel I have more energy and can work out longer when I've eaten something before working out.

Vega
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by harrygrove Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 am

The thing I look at is that most people look to burn so many calories in a training session when they are looking to lose body fat. There are 168 hours in a week and most people will only train for about 3 hours of that, which means you have 165 hours left. People try to burn off as many calories as they can in say a 1 hour session, but forget about the hours outside of the session.

During exercise, you want to work as intensely as possible and use stored muscle glycogen as your energy provider. So going on the question, I would not train on an empty stomach. I would definitely eat before hand (1-2 hours before) and then even take in a good quality sports drink during the session to keep energy levels high. I would also have good post-workout nutrition too.

During sessions you want to cause micro damage to the body, whether this is muscular or fatigue to the central nervous system. This will result in the body needing more time to repair once the session is over. The main fuel source, which provides energy for the repair of muscle is stored body fat. Resistance/weight training causes micro tears to the muscle. These muscles need to be repaired and made stronger and this process can take up to 72 hours to achieve. That is basically 72 hours of burning stored body fat.

I get my clients to eat before, during (fluid) and after training, keeping their energy levels high so they can work a lot harder, not necessarily longer though. Getting them to eat a good healthy eating plan of vegetables, pulses, fruits, fish, meats, nuts, seeds etc will supply them with the building blocks to help repair the damage from the training session, while stored body fat supplies the energy.

Basically, you want to use and burn as many calories from stored muscle glycogen during the session to yield the most amount of fat used as fuel outside the sessions. It all depends on what exercise you do though. Intensity is the key word.

I apologise if I went off point a bit

harrygrove
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

http://ptondemand.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bernard the marine69 Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 am

hi harry grove

so is creatine ok during these sessions? also, can you reccomend some biceps exercises to use?

bernard the marine69
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by harrygrove Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

yeah creatine is fine during these sessions. Taking it at the right time and what type is a different matter. I would stick to plain creatine monohydrate. If you take this you can do one of two ways of taking it when you first start on it. You can load it over 5 days (20-25g a day). This will saturate the muscles and then you would take maintenance dose of about 2-3g a day thereafter. For those who do not wish to load and take it before and after training, as I did, it can take around 30 days to hit the same saturation as that if you load it. Once you have done this muscle creatine levels will stay elevated as long as you're taking 2-3g a day.

Creatine monohydrate requires an insulin spike for it to forced into the muscles, so if you load it, take it with meals in those first 5 days. I take creatine before and after training. I have about 3g before with my pre-workout drink, which is made up of simple carbs, amino acids and glutamine. I take this about 15 min before my warm up. I then take another 3g after with my post workout shake, which again has simple carbs and protein in.

As for some biceps exercises, different types of pull ups, barbell and dumbbell rows. The weight from these, although not primarily a biceps movement, is heavier than any weight from a curl, which means more effort by the biceps will be needed in aid to help with these exercises. Deadlifts and squats will help too, not in the way of directly hitting them, but because these exercises require so much effort, the body releases higher levels of testosterone and growth hormone, which in turn will help with increased muscle mass throughout the whole body Smile

Again, sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps

Harry

harrygrove
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

http://ptondemand.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vatansever223 Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:14 pm

thank for support

[url=http://premierwindowfilms.net/category/smashgrab/]smash and grab[/url]
[url=http://www.creditcardapprovalcenter.com/cash-back-credit-cards.php]Cash Back Credit Cards[/url]

vatansever223
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by bellefaithwilliams Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 am

I think it wont be healthy... "I think"... To much isn't not good...

bellefaithwilliams
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

http://wingchun-london.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ravifitness Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 am

Hey friends..
I read to your advise it's really very good to every one.. so heartily thank to you...

ravifitness
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

http://www.outdoor-fitness.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by davidmartin414 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:37 am

THIS IS HELPFUL INFO..
THANKS

davidmartin414
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by jimjordan365 Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 am

thanks for this information.

jimjordan365
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by Forumaddicted Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 am

It is very good explanation many people know about first point and they don't know that fat burn will starts after 20 min of exercise they don't know that this is the main reason for not losing weight.

Forumaddicted
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by Arvel147 Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Drink water - You've known that your body is determined by water for all important physical procedures, and yet you be cheap on consuming sufficient amounts of water every day, Well, it's about time to stop that...

Arvel147
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by Freaky4Fitness Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 am

I always work out on an empty stomach. I feel lighter and it helps me to stay focused, for some reason. I know that's the opposite of many people, but I guess I'm just weird like that. Everyone needs to figure out what works best for them.

Freaky4Fitness
Fitness Trainer
Fitness Trainer

Back to top Go down

Exercising on a fasted state Empty Exercise

Post by Angelica85 Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 am

If you have a plan to work for any specific work group when you exercise in the morning, then it is a good idea that you should stretch first. [url=http://www.ultralifeshop.co.uk/products/energy_endurance]http://www.ultralifeshop.co.uk/products/energy_endurance[/url] available in the market can certainly help you in your goal towards morning exercise.

Angelica85
Fitness Trainer
Fitness Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down